Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Fantastic News!

So I finally got around to getting in contact with MTV to suggest my
ideas for "Voice of a Generation" and they kind folks at MTV Thinks
replied in an extremely timely manner. Simply put, they said if I make
a few videos outlining my thoughts and ideas for the project, upload
them and email them the links they will consider promoting the material
through their site and if it works well enough, it may go further from
there.

In slightly less, successful news, TED has yet to
return my email I sent in nearly a week ago. In this state of inaction
I went ahead and called their main offices in NYC. I asked if they
offered any sort of student discount or financial aid support. The lady
was very kind in telling me no and that they did offer financial aid
for experts in specific fields and that they did have the TED Prize
winners. Neither of those really fit my conditions so I said thank you
and went my way.

But then later this evening spoke to a student
from my class who I decided to share my policies as the Junior Class
President with. Her first response was of shock mixed with hesitation.
Then she nearly became furious that I would institute a policy that was
for the most part singly aimed at opening up larger doors for Prom
possibilities. Apparently not every High School girl dreams of being
Prom Queen. So with some extensive explanations and a few thoughtful
considerations I retooled my "Benefits System" to include
extracurricular activities with parents notes and signatures and some
proof of said activity. And then with some more discussion we thought
of some more ways for the school to interest students in their futures
through having an Art Expo day the same day as the Art Fair. Have
artists and creative types from Photography, Film, Paintings, Graphic
Design, Musicians, Orchestras, Television, Fashion, and maybe even
Drafting and Design/Architecture fields come to speak to us briefly
about their lifestyles and careers and then have the rest of the day be
an Expo with the Art Fair open to the students and such. I mean, we
already have a Health Day, which is really for the most part a useless
day with no real purpose although the idea is good, so why not a day to
celebrate the Arts?

One thing is for certain this is going to be a big school year.

No comments: