Saturday, February 3, 2007

Myspace + Proxy + School = Bad Idea

I had finally found a working proxy for my school to browse webpages with here. As with most other proxies I have tried this one did not support Java or Flash. So I used it to browse forums, access e-mails, and of course check Myspace. Knowing my school would probably ban me from use of the network for the rest of the year if they caught me in the act I always kept my hand close to the power button just in case. A teacher was coming down the row and I didn't have time to clear the proxy name from the visited list and just shut down. The teacher stood in our row for the next like 5 minutes until class ended. 'I'll just clear it on Monday', I thought to myself. I go home to find I cannot log onto my account for Myspace on any browser or with that proxy. I tried a million and a half possiblities. Then I realized that when I had shut down the PC with no precautions, my account had been frozen to that network IP. My school has the same IP address on every computer and every compter can access the main server, so in theory my account for the school is still receiving data from Myspace on the school's server even though I am not signed onto any computers. So until I can go to school and try to fix this, I may never get that myspace back forever...

No comments: