Tuesday, September 4, 2007

The Bible Says So: Wake Up

So being the geek I am almost immediately after I walked the dog and ate a few grapes, I jumped on the old computer to check some blogs and do some blogging of my own. I was planning on doing a blog about John but this just really struck me.

Some of you may have heard of Lifehacker.com, it is a website where tips to improve your daily life and habits are posted in blog form. So scrolling through their RSS I saw a tag on getting up early. Now school is literally 2 days away so I will be waking up at 5-5:30 AM every morning, any help in waking up would be amazing. So after reading through the list of tips the third comment down was literally a sign from God. It simply reads, "1 Thessalonians 5:1-11". So I immediately dove for my Bible and logged into my blog to document it.

1 Thessalonians 5:1-11 is typically passed off as a metaphor with day as modern times and the night as the time when the Anti-Christ will be upon us. It could be taken just as literally as it was written also though. Verse 5 says, "Ye are all the children of light, and the children of day: we are not of the night, nor of darkness." Why should we be consumed by the night when it was made for sleep and is high time for acts of sin and drunken pleasures? The rest of the passage is quite obviously metaphorical and is an excellent read for those struggling with friends and influences that are of the world. But it brings a good point. The day was made to worship and praise God and work for the glory of his name. So set with the sun and rise with it as it is your guide in all you do for Christ's sake. We were made to worship the Son of God, even as we are his children so let us not have fear in the dark that it may remove us from his grace, but openly praise his name in every moment of the day that it may be seen as a witness to those around you. Use these words as a guide that you may not fall into temptation and loose your way in Christ but build a stronger bond with the one who has bonded us as Christ followers in fellowship and union to build a better kingdom that he has prepared for us. Anger is not its ways and should be cast out from among them, but righteousness and peace are its foundation as God has blessed those who employ them in their lives and principles to lead a life with God at its center.

"Wherefore comfort yourselves together, and edify one another, even also as ye do." -1 Thessalonians 5:11. I just wanted to give a shout out to everyone who prayed for me last night. I was hurting for no really good reason and when I made it known, I received so much joy from heaven itself because you guys prayed for me and it lifted my spirits. Thank you so much. You guys truly did comfort me and it was so amazing to feel your compassion from miles upon miles away as many of you are, that just brought a tear to my eye. God will bless you for your actions of mercy and grace. And if he some how forgets, I will be sure to bless you for it. But that wont be a problem for a God bigger than the universes could never forget such acts of love. Thank you once again.

----------------
Now playing: Jeremy Camp - Empty Me
via FoxyTunes

1 comment:

Knurd said...

Excellent effort speaking-out on such issues. I came across this while searching what the bible has to say about waking-up early. However I do not think that 1 Thessalonians 5:1-11 is sufficient reason to go to bed at a decent hour. I am quite the stickler for finding both science and scripture together, reconciled, for any of these issues.

Proverbs 6:9-11 is much more on-target addressing sleep, however, there are no scientific studies that show benefits of going to sleep before midnight. The only remotely plausible speculation of potential factors for this is a difference in the Earth's magnetic field on the night-side of the planet, which is opposite the magneto-pause and bow-shock where charged particles collide with the magnetic field. However this is pure speculation, and I am not a geophysicist yet.

And this passage is most definitely metaphorical and if we decide to take this literally when it is not meant to be, then we bear false witness to the Word of God, shaky ground that makes it easy for you to get sniped. Unless the bible explicitly says that it is an abomination to stay awake past midnight, we cannot claim this.

The real reason why I'm here on your blog today? I had an important package delivered to my office so that I would be there to sign for it. However it was COD and since I had slept in the receptionist sent them away and now I have to take a bus to the post-office to claim my package. This could have been averted if I had simply gone to bed early and got up early like the rest of the planet. But I'm not certain the bible says anything about this in particular.